I don't even know where to begin...
Since my last post Sy has been admitted to the hospital, under anesthesia, has had a camera down his throat, biopsies taken, blood drawn, an IV, a tube inserted up his nose and down his throat that had to stay in for 20+ hours all while being hooked up to a computer, 75 scratches (for allergies) on both his arms, 3 huge patches with food chambers placed on his back that have to stay on for 3 days, the nose/throat tube removed (leaving a raw cheek & neck), and has been poked and probed more than you could imagine. He had a few silent tears here and there but through it all has tried to keep smiling. (See the pic on my facebook page. I don't know how to attach it on here yet.)
All of that to say that I am more and more amazed at how God has created children to be so resilient and joyful in the midst of such trials. Even the nurses are shocked as to how well he handles pain and discomfort.
We have received definitive confirmation (once again) that he does have Eosinophilic Esophagitis and was also told today the sad facts that there is no cure and that he cannot grow out of this. We have never defined Sy by his disease and won't start now. However, today was the reality that this will be a "thorn in his side" for the rest of his life. Tomorrow I will have an in-depth education class to learn more about it. Cincinnati Children's is the best of the best in research for EE and I am so thankful to be here. But even more than that, I'm thankful to know that God intricately created Sy Sy just as he is and that nothing is out of His control, care or healing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Girl I am continually blown away by the depth of your trust and peace in God perfect plan - you guys are in our prayers - we love yall and Sy so much!
ReplyDeleteHeather, thanks for opening up about all these trials on a blog. I will be praying for your stay and that you have God's hope and peace. I pray too that you can visibly see the fruits of what God is building in you as you endure this trial. He is a God who sees you and knows all that you are going through...Praying for you. - Jenn McKim Wong
ReplyDeleteHeather- I will be praying for you and Sy! My son, Caden, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last April. He was hospitalized away from home (because we were visiting family when we recognized the signs). I know your mommy heart is hurting for your kiddo right now. Please know I understand and know just how to pray. I also know without a doubt, that God will use this in Sy's story. Although this won't define him, it will give him a strength that most of us don't know and can't comprehend. I have all the hope in the world that my son's struggles, will also be his strengths in the big picture. Hang in there, girl! God is absolutely in control... and loves Sy even more than you do!! Love ya, girl! Christy Kroeker
ReplyDeletewow--what a trooper. the line about his silent tears just kills me!! i will be lifting him up. how long do you two stay in cincinatti?? (I have family there if you need to see a friendly face or neep help with anything!!)
ReplyDeleteBabe, not only is Sy strong, but YOU are strong! I am praying that God continues to be very close to your whole family. I love you!
ReplyDeletePower is perfected (completed) in weakness..."for when I am weak, THEN I am strong. I see the strength of God thru you Heather and Sy, the man of God in the making. Can't wait to see ya back home gurl! Shalom
ReplyDeleteHeather- your story really, really touches me. Can I add you on facebook and follow? My name is Alex and I know firsthand how it is to be a kid with some pretty serious problems.
ReplyDelete